Monday, February 26, 2007

existential adoption angst.

on the bus ride to and from work, i've started reading a new book. (it's not a very long ride, but a good book is worth snatching bits and pieces of whenever you can.) i really am more of a non-fiction fan than anything else, and i've recently started the sins of scripture by john shelby spong. you probably remember the name; i remember back when i was "in the fold" automatically thinking he was a heretic without ever actually reading the book, and now i like reading him and being discerning. isn't that a good word? instead of prejudiced.

so anyhow, this particular book is about how particular bible verses have been used way out of context and have had harmful effects rather than positive ones. i'm still in the first section, which turns out to be about the environment. and the first chapter? focuses on being fruitful and multiplying. his point is, essentially, that a mandate that had a purpose when humanity/the jewish people were just starting out, has lost its immediate context, and thus can't be blindly applied anymore. in actuality, he claims, using excellently researched and chillingly scary numbers, one very important thing we can do right now for the earth, nature, and humanity is CURB population growth.

bethany asked me today why we don't just adopt. (she was being curious, not judgemental). the answer is that i think we will, and that we'd like to try both, but that we'd love to be biologically involved and create something together at least once. stated that way, these aren't sinister desires. but up against population density statistics and al-gore-type environmental truths...don't i just feel like the only decent thing to do is adopt. ouch.

i promise to pray about this, but this is going to be one of those prayers that severely test my ability to be humble.

3 comments:

Bex said...

Am I actually the first to comment on your blog? I feel honored. I have to admit that I am a little jealous, as of all my friends who get to start having babies! But it's different with you, of course, since what we're both missing is a man! I just wanted to ask, why are you planning on IVF? Isn't that usually for people with fertility problems? Artifical insemination is much, much cheaper (between $300 and $700 per cycle), you'd just need someone to offer you some sperm, right? But can't you get that at a sperm bank? Just wondering.

silentt said...

I was wondering the same thing. I just didn't ask because I thought it might be too personal. I was aloso wondering if what thoughts went into decididng who would carry teh child. If that is also too personal, feel free to ignore me.

silentt said...

that was me, by the way.

Margot